Our team of midwives are passionate about providing continuity of care to women and their families during pregnancy, birth and the transition to parenting. Research has shown that continuity of midwifery care is ideal for facilitating and optimising normal physiological birth. Women who have continuity of care with a known midwife have shorter labours, use less analgesia in labour, and have fewer caesareans and instrumental vaginal births (1).
Choosing a private midwife as your care provider for pregnancy and birth enables you to work in partnership with a midwife who will come to know you well, and will support you and your family, and your hopes and priorities for your pregnancy and birth.
Options of Care
Private Midwifery Care:
- Initial free consultation visit
- Antenatal care within your home or at The Birth House
- Labour and Birth care within your home or at The Birth House
- Partner midwife who will meet you during your pregnancy and be present at the birth
- Postnatal care within your home for a period of up to 6 weeks
- Referral to specialist care if you or your baby need it
Medicare rebates are available for antenatal and postnatal visits with our Medicare eligible midwives. Our schedule of fees is available here. Please contact us by phone or email, for more information regarding current 2021 fees for midwifery care through Midwives Geelong.
Birth Pool Hire:
The Birth House has ‘Pool in a box” birth pools for hire, and pool liners for sale. For more information about costs and to download a birth pool booking form, please visit: Birth Pool Hire
Home birth checklist:
This checklist is a guide to preparing your space and family for a birth at home: Home birth checklist
For further information about private midwifery care and Midwives Geelong, please contact us on 0412 763 033, or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Our team of Private Midwives:
- Judy van Dreven ~ 0401 052 506 ~ Registered, Endorsed & Medicare Eligible Midwife
- Leisa Gittings ~ 0425 787 046 ~ Registered, Endorsed & Medicare Eligible Midwife
- Melissa McFarlane ~ 0423 155 460 ~ Registered Midwife
- Lynne Pyke ~ 0409 952 533 ~ Registered, Endorsed & Medicare Eligible Midwife
- Kylie Cole ~ 0458 294 257 ~ Registered, Endorsed & Medicare Eligible Midwife
- Kate Wylie ~ 0409 531 673 ~ Registered, Endorsed & Medicare Eligible Midwife, IBCLC
Referral Letter for Midwives Geelong
A referral from a GP is required in order for women to be able to access Medicare rebates for antenatal and postnatal appointments with a Medicare eligible midwife. Any GP who provides early pregnancy screening (such as 1st trimester US, MSST, NIPT and referrals for public hospital and/or private obstetric care) is welcome to refer women for private midwifery care using the following form:
If your GP would like further information about Eligible Midwives and collaborative agreements, a good overview can be found here on the Australian College of Midwives website:
(1) Hodnett, E. D., Gates, S., Hofmeyr, G. J., Sakal, C., & Weston, J. (2011). Continuous support for women during childbirth [Review]. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, 2.