The Birth House has obstetric TENS units available for hire. Please call us on 0412 763 033 for information about hiring a FreeMOM TENS Labour Pain Management System.
What is FreeMOM TENS?
FreeMOM is a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (T.E.N.S) device which has been specifically designed to assist in the relief of pain during labour, after-birth pain, assist with sleeping after the delivery and lower back pain.
How does it Work?
FreeMOM sends small, electrical signals into the body via electrodes which are placed onto the skin. The stimulus aids the relief of pain in 3 ways:
1. By blocking the pain messages from reaching the brain via the nerves.
2. By stimulating the release of the body’s naturally occurring pain-relieving endorphins.
3. By providing a distraction whilst the pain is occurring.
Is FreeMOM easy to use?
Very! The electrodes are applied to the lower back (see picture below), when labour first commences. The expectant mother sets the FreeMOM TENS to a comfortable sensation level while pressing on the ‘Booster Button’. Once set, at every contraction the expectant mother simply presses the ‘Booster Button’ and holds it down until the contraction ceases. A full instructional DVD is included with the FreeMOM TENS unit. We can also arrange an appointment with one of our qualified health professionals for a more detailed demonstration.
Benefits of the FreeMOM:
- FreeMOM is simple and drug free
- FreeMOM initiates the action of the body’s own natural pain –relieving mechanisms.
- FreeMOM is used to provide a background level of pain relief to which any other form of analgesia may be added if required.
- FreeMOM may be used whilst still at home, or from the time you arrive at the hospital.
- FreeMOM may shorten the 1st stage of labour, but otherwise does not alter the natural course of labour.
- FreeMOM allows the mother to be fully mobile and “in control” during her labour, unlike other methods of pain relief.
- FreeMOM can be easily interrupted or discontinued at any time during the labour. (It may need to be disconnected during foetal monitoring).
- Benefits of greater comfort during early stages of labour are carried right throughout the birth process.
- FreeMOM can also be used for after-birth pain, restless leg syndrome and other pain e.g. lower back pain and shoulder pain.
FreeMOM offers the following superior features:
- FreeMOM is the smallest, easiest to handle unit. FreeMOM is very simple to use and may be placed around the neck for freedom of movement.
- “Set and Forget” stimulation settings. No need to control the stimulation intensity during each contraction.
- Two long electrodes cover the spinal nerves to the uterus and cervix resulting in greater area coverage and less wires to get in the way or tangled.
- Menu driven instructional DVD with each unit.
- Training on the use of FreeMOM by qualified health care professionals if required.
- Used in hospitals throughout Australia and by mothers world-wide.
How much is the FreeMOM to hire?
|FreeMOM TENS Hire (Incl. GST) – from 37 weeks||$50.00|
|Labour Electrodes – refundable if not opened, used or damaged||$35.00|
|Deposit – refundable on the return of the FreeMOM TENS kit||$40.00|
|PLUS Prepaid return Postage Satchel – Australia post delivery to the TENS Australia office||$15.00|
|Total cost of hire from The Birth House:||$140.00|
Please call us on 0412 763 033 for information about hiring a FreeMOM TENS Labour Pain Management System.
For more information about the FreeMOM TENS, please visit http://www.tensaustralia.com/freeMomTens.asp